Friday, January 8, 2010

Kuantan roadtrip (28-30 Dec 2009)

Finally, it happened. After several years of delay, I finally got to make it happen. Kuantan, there I went.

It was a semi-backpack trip since we had to explore the place on our own due to some unforeseen circumstance. But it was all good. Ideally, it was meant to be an adventurous roadtrip as well. And I mean adventurous in the sense of camping by the beach (within the designated campsite,of course) and eating all sorts of seafood. But due to unforeseen circumstances again, it became a not-so adventurous trip in the end. Probably more of a chilling relaxing therapeutic trip. But it's all good nonetheless..

Kuantan is known for their beaches, their waves, seafood, and the local Malay delicacies like Keropok Lekor. We were on a craze for beaches and so, we decided to check out each and every one of the beaches. Out of a list of 5 beaches, only 1 was good..that is, Telok Chempedak. Pictures below are taken from Telok Chempedak.

TC is basically the coolest hang out spot in Kuantan, at all times, day AND night. In the morning, you see family taking strolls along the beach, playing in the sand, sitting by the shore of the beach and by night, you see mostly couples and friends taking a night stroll along the beach. What makes it even more awesome is the fact that McDs and KFC are just a walk away! *drools*

The thing I enjoyed most about Kuantan was being hit by the waves. The waves were so crazy that no one ever swims in the sea. Only the surfer dudes along with their surfboard dared make entry to the fierce sea. It was almost like re-watching Discovery Channel's cover story of 2006's tsunami, but this time, live.. scary i tell you!
So what we did was sit on the part of the beach where the waves would ripple off, thinking it would be safer than being in the waters. And boy, did we underestimated the waves! Even at such a distance, the waves hit us so hard that we were never steady in one spot. The suction power when the wave subsided was also scary, because it pulled us into the water at such great speed and power. All my life, having been to so many beaches and islands, I've never seen anything quite like TC's waves. Awesomeness it was.

The other beaches were in stark contrast to TC. Dead, lifeless, dirty, boring. And we drove 30km just to get to it. Major disappointment. Road signs were hopeless too. And, Cherating was crazily far as well so we decided to give it a miss. Sigh.. I really wanted to see the turtle shelter, and make batik. Oh well, this means I'll definitely be going back next time! :)

The only regrets I have were not being able to take much pictures of the waves (since I was busy being hit by the waves and paranoid that people walking on the beach would just run away with my bag and valuables); and waking up early to catch sunrise on the beach and take an awesome photograph of it. It still bugs me.

Anyway, pictures below! :)





"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go.
I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move."
Robert Louis
I love this Robert Louis guy. He speaks my mind literally.
(",)

2 comments: